Sunday, October 2, 2011

An Introduction and a Shopping Trip

An Introduction...

So the other day I found a dresser that I just couldn't pass up, but with all the other projects sitting around the house in various stages of finish a complete overhaul wasn't really an option.  So to avoid having to find another place to stash it in my house (and a head shake from the husband), I decided a mini makeover would be perfect.

Meet Benjamin:

He filled all of my requirements: solid wood, dovetail drawers, nothing broken, and of course a great price (with a discount on top of that!).  Plus he was only a few convenient aisles down from my own antique booth.  I brought some knobs from home as well as making a trip to Hobby Lobby for new new ones and some paper.  I knew even before I put them on the monogram letter knobs would be perfect and the paper I had purchased wouldn't work at all.  I usually like to have a plan before I start on a piece but being inspired along the way happens more often than not.  So as of right now he's sitting in my booth with a not for sale tag waiting for some finishing touches.  I love the way even something as small as changing the hardware, however, can change the look of something so much.  Hopefully I'll be able to show you the finished product the beginning of next week!

A Shopping Trip...
I've had a few people ask me where I find all this great furniture and have decided that not enough people out there realize how truly great a flea market/antique mall can actually be!  It's not just some place for "old people" to go.  You can find amazing things, great prices, and a chance to be creative while saving loads of money furnishing and decorating your home with quality pieces.  Let's take a little shopping trip.

First up?  Lamps.  We all know how expensive they can be.  And perhaps at first glance these wouldn't be something you'd even begin to consider.  But there isn't much a can of spray paint and a new lamp shade (or some fabric around an old one) can't fix.

I actually just purchased one for myself for a whopping $10.  Brown and gold basket weave aside, I really liked the shape and size.  One other thing to pay attention to is the cord; you don't want anything brittle or frayed.  A new cord kit is around $4 at the hardware store so if you're feeling brave rewiring it can be inexpensive.  Make sure you ask to plug it in somewhere to see if it works!

Next lets look at mirrors.  Another notoriously expensive item that you probably need at least one of in your house.  And sometimes you can find amazing ones that don't need any help beyond a home on your wall.
1. Green painted mirror:  I believe this was about $20, paint, wallpaper, or some sort of decoupage would be perfect on its nice flat surface.
2.  Black mirror:  $50 with a 20% off booth discount.  This one I have been trying really hard not to buy for my own house, it is amazing!  First of all, it's huge.  I would say it's at least 3 feet plus tall.  Second it's really heavy; in person it looks like a tin/metal surround but it's actually wood.  Third I can already think of several perfect places for it.  I may fail this attempt at not spending money, but for that price you can hardly blame me.
3. Curvy gold mirror:  $40. This is a beauty.  I love the shape and it's a great size as well.  It even looks good in gold which is generally not my finish of choice.  However, I squeal thinking how amazing a glossy white or black paint would look.
Beyond letting them be mirrors with awesome look-what-I-did frames, you can even transform them in to chalkboards.  Both very handy and very house trendy right now.

And of course, furniture.  Obviously this is what I look for most when I'm out and about.  If you aren't looking in flea markets for furniture you aren't looking in the right places.
Dresser: $95.  A steal!  Some new knobs, maybe some paint?  Yes it's quite antique looking... because it is an antique.  However, don't feel bad about altering it to fit your personal style and tastes.  Some new hardware, maybe some paint?  And the best part is you can remove that fabulous large mirror and hang it elsewhere in your house (or sell it and make some of that $$ back.)

Buffet: $75.  You could use it as a buffet in your dining room of course.  Or perhaps it's a great tv stand.  Drill some holes in the back and put your equipment in the cabinets.  Maybe it's a slim dresser for a tight space.   Don't let it's original use dictate how you decide it works best.

Chairs: $30 a piece.  Of course I love the color!  A little leather cleaner and they'd be great!


Chair:  I don't actually know how much this one was, it was too high for me to see.  But you can find them everywhere.  Throw on some paint and a new fabric for the seat and it's brand new!  Build an eclectic dining set this way, provide company with a seat in the guest bedroom, or just make room for extra people at the table!
Twin bedframe: $75.  I am just plain loving this four poster frame.  It's small and still makes a statement.  It's solid wood.  How amazing would this be in a distressed white finish for a girl's bedroom?

Doors: $35/$40.  They already both have great old finishes.  Hang them on the wall for a dramatic and different headboard.  Especially great for smaller rooms where an entire bed frame would take up too much space.

End table/nightstand: $30.  I don't think I would touch this at all, it's in great shape and it has fabulous clean lines and great storage.

Buffet: $175:  I am also loving this piece.  With it's divided drawers it would be perfect almost anywhere you need storage.
Make sure when you are looking for furniture you find out the following first:
Is it solid wood?
Do the drawers have dovetail joints and slide easily, do the doors close evenly?
Is there anything broken, bowed, or chipped?
Does it smell like smoke? (trust me sometimes you can't tell until it's home, don't be afraid to stick your nose in the drawer and sniff!)

And of course there is the rest:




Book lovers?  Check.  Kitchen supplies?  Check.  Vintage clothes on the cheap?  Double check. (that fab leather coat was $7!)  You can find original photography, small and large art/poster prints, and
they are also a great place for accessories:


Anyway, the moral of this long pictorial story is to check your flea markets first!  You cannot buy brand new, solid wood furniture for under $200 (you can barely buy WalMart furniture that cheap anymore).   Plus no one else will have your mirror or your lamp or your awesome leather coat but you.  
A lot of dealers will have booth discounts and most will accept reasonable offers.  Don't be afraid to ask! 
And of course... if ever you are in need of a giant quilted chicken to hang on your wall?
Chances are likely you can find one of those too!

No comments:

Post a Comment