Monday, August 8, 2011

Good Morning!

Monday morning is finally here after a long weekend.  In between working at the grocery store, I did get a few things accomplished.  A little (very welcome) rain didn't get in the way of any projects and also gave me an excuse to watch Pride and Prejudice while painting... again.  I think I may have a problem, I really love that movie.
You may be thinking.. I can't believe she was painting over carpet in the living room!  Luckily at some point that awful carpet is going to come up and reveal the (hopefully) beautiful hardwood floors beneath.  In other words I don't care too much about what happens to it in the meantime.  And if an accident were to occur and we had to take it up sooner than planned?  I can't say I would be sad... although I'm not sure my husband would believe the accident part of that.
I also had a chance to make the Blueberry Wine Cake I had been wanting to try
The picture is not too good, I am still learning (and probably will forever) how to use this camera.  Next time I will not be so lazy and turn on another light.  Anyway, yes, the cake is blue.  And besides falling completely apart while trying to get it out of the silicone bundt pan (sometimes I really have a love/hate with that thing), tasted delicious.
Blueberry (or any fruit wine) Wine Cake
1 cup fruit wine (I used St. James)
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 box white cake mix
1 box fruit flavored gelatin (same fruit as the wine or anything you think might complement it would be great)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs

Glaze:
1/2 cup of the wine
1/2 stick butter
1 cup powdered sugar

Sprinkle pecans into the bottom of your greased bundt pan.  Mix the rest of the ingredients together and pour batter into your pan.  Bake 50-60 mins @375* ( I would check after maybe 40 mins as it was a little more done on top than I would have liked.)  Turn out onto wire rack to cool.
While your cake is baking, mix the glaze ingredients together in a saucepan over the stove and heat until boiling.  Remove from heat.  When you've turned the cake out on to the rack, pour half of the glaze over the cake.  Wait 20-30 mins and pour remaining glaze over cake.
Enjoy!

I love to make things from scratch but I am never happier than finding a good recipe that uses something like a cake mix to cut steps out.  I think next time I will try strawberry and maybe throw some fresh fruit in the batter.  We shall see.  
So that was my weekend.  Now that the little library shelf has been painted I am going to use today to attempt a glaze for the first time.  This could be interesting and may end with me sanding and repainting the whole thing  or keeping it for myself after all. 



No comments:

Post a Comment