Saturday, August 13, 2011

My name is Rebecca, and I have a crush on fruit wine

So this has nothing to do with furniture, but I feel the need to share my new found love of all things fruit wine.  As if the blueberry cake wasn't enough, this week I tried a couple of new things with the strawberry wine that you should all know about.  No, really, because they are delicious.
First a lovely lemonade concoction using sparkling water.  Totally perfect and refreshing for a hot summer day!  There is really no recipe for this so use your own judgement, I used a bit more lemonade than wine as I wanted it on the tart side.

Then the wine popsicles.  Seriously these were so tasty Alan and I might have eaten all six of them tonight.  Don't judge us, you will want to do the same!
Strawberry Wine Popsicles
3-4 cups fresh strawberries
3/4 cup strawberry wine
3/4 cup sugar (or less depending on how sweet and ripe your fruit is)
2 Tbs fresh squeezed lemon juice
Blend all the ingredients together.
 Pour into six 4 oz molds.  
Freeze at least 6 hours or overnight.
Run under warm water to release it from the mold and enjoy!

Now a few things; you don't have to use molds, I'm pretty sure some Dixie cups and popsicle sticks would do the trick as well.  I, however, got nostalgic and ordered some vintage Tupperware molds from Ebay.  I remember using these as a kid for pudding pops and they were the best thing in the world!  I could have purchased new ones, but these were cheaper, in great shape, and didn't have Mickey Mouse ears on the handle (there is something wrong about making winesicles out of Disney merchandise).  And the best part?  They had that wonderfully plastic smell that only comes from old Tupperware.  That may seem strange to you but it reminds me of cooking with my parents as a kid.
Second, I didn't have that many fresh strawberries as some of them went bad while waiting for above molds to arrive so I substituted some frozen ones.  And cut the sugar back to 1/2 cup.  It seems like a lot but it was about perfect (and probably still less than the kind you get in the store full of corn syrup).
And third, this recipe was about double what my little molds could hold.  So really by eating them all tonight I could fill them up again instead of throwing the rest out.  Saving money!  
Next batch?  Blackberry, or maybe even peach... yum!

Hope everyone's weekend was great, I have three days off to work, work, work on painting and hope to have some finished project pictures up this week!





2 comments:

  1. Is that St James Strawberry Wine? I have never seen it in stores but I love St James Velvet White wine. Your popsicle molds look awesome. I have some but don't really like mine. Do yours release easily from the mold?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is St. James, I think we carry all of it except the blueberry and raspberry which are new for them. I don't know where you shop but try HyVee... the ones here at least have an amazing wine selection. I love these molds, they are small but since it's Tupperware they will probably outlive me. I kinda squeezed around on them to loosen them up, this recipe doesn't set up super hard so the stick wanted to slide out but for the most part they did well.

    ReplyDelete